To use sewer network modelling to provide more accurate estimates of COVID-19 cases. To examine different modelling approaches for harmonising wastewater-based COVID-19 surveillance with traditional COVID-19 surveillance within the same catchment.
- Develop the modelling capacity to accurate predict COVID-19 cases (symptomatic and asymptomatic) within a wastewater catchment from viral RNA.
- Develop the methodology for using the sewage network for the identification of COVID-19 hotspots.
- Capacity building UK WBE method for future application to other key public health infection risks, including vaccination-preventable illness.
- Rowland Kao (Edinburgh University)
- Chris Jewels (Lancaster University)
- Koen Pouwels (Oxford University)
- Vanessa Speight (Sheffield University)
- David Graham (Newcastle University)
- Marcos Quintela-Baluja (Newcastle University)
- Andrew Singer (UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology)